Tuesday, September 8, 2009

An imaginary conversation between the ghost of H. R. Gross and a recent arrival to Arlington National Cemetary.


HRG:  I see Senator that you've maintained your family tradition of expensive (and publicly funded) funerals.  Have they told you how much this one is going to be costing my Iowa taxpayers?

EMK:  I guess it probably will cost a lot more than that little gas flame over there near my brother's grave that you used to gripe so much about.  But, of course, the failed Bush economic policies have introduced a lot of inflation into the economy over the past 8 years and that won't help.  But, remember too, that I did try to pay for that Kopechne kid's funeral a few years back--so I do try to look out for those Iowa taxpayers of yours whenever I can.

HRG:  Well, I guess the good news here is that no one has suggested an eternal fountain (with a bridge across it) as an appropriate memorial for you. Perhaps, if Obama's Cash for Clunkers turns up a 70's vintage yellow Corvette he could park that over there somewhere.  A $4,000 drop in the bucket. Its still too much, but it would be better than some of the alternatives and probably the best we could do in the present environment.


Powered by ScribeFire.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment