Friday, August 28, 2009

Finally, I'm feeling old in my retirement village

I guess, it was bound to happen eventually, people who live in retirement villages are supposed to feel old at least occasionally. But, up to now at least, it had not happened to me, even after spending a significant amount of time over the past several years watching the sons of football players whose fathers I remember from their playing days (i.e. Frank Lampard, Sr). Yesterday, however, Joseph-Claude Gyau grandson of Joseph "Nana" Gyau signed his first professional contract.

Hoffenheim signs U.S. teens Gyau and Renken - U.S. Soccer - ESPN Soccernet

Joseph-Claude's grandfather was one of the first players signed by the old Washington Whips (DC's first professional team) way back when. I went to their first game and all of their subsequent home games--and even on one occasion got to meet "Nana" and shake his hand. "Nana's" son Phillip--Joseph-Claude's father-- was also a player and I managed to see him play a number of times, although only on TV.

Good luck to you then Joseph-Claude! I am very much looking forward to seeing you play someday soon--even though my old bones will probably feel their age a little bit more than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment